The other night I had to make dinner for a very special guest.
Ayah Young herself was flying all the way from San Fransisco to my snowy doorstep and I knew I had to make something delicious.
I wanted to make something fresh, healthy and satisfying for her after her long flight.
I took a trip down to the market and picked up a salad and a wrap from my favourite raw cafe, Cruda Cafe.
To add a little more spice and sustenance to our meal, I made a spicy quinoa salad packed with as many antioxidants and nutrients as I could.
This baby is filled with superfoods: kale, tumeric, cinnamon, olive oil and cayenne pepper.
Use this recipe as a guideline to make your own. Add a few spices, sample, add a few more, and keep tasting until it’s just the way you like it! I switch up my quinoa salads every time I make them and rarely measure. I love how they’re good hot or cold, and last for days in the fridge!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin cayenne to taste
- 1 tsp spicy mustard (smokey bbq in my case)
- handful of cranberries
- kale leaf chopped roughly
1. Rinse quinoa unless you bought pre-rinsed. This removes the bitter taste.
2. Cook quinoa (instructions in intro to quinoa post.)
3. In a bowl add oils, spices and kale.
4. Mix and serve![/box]