I apologize in advance to Ayah for this, because I know she’s not a tuna fan.
I don’t eat a lot of meat, but I love seafood, and I adore tuna! While I like to stick to the canned variety for budget purposes, my loving man likes to surprise me with a proper ahi tuna steak when he makes me dinner.
Ahi tuna isn’t cheap, but you can always buy smaller cuts for special occasions, and if you live in Toronto you can buy fish for 50% off at St.Lawrence market after 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays! Our little secret…shhh. You can also use one of my favourite affordable fishes, Tilapia, which has a mild flavor and will take really well to this sauce.
You could also easily make this meal vegetarian or vegan by replacing the tuna with tempeh, tofu, or even a veggie burger pattie! I’m a big fan of using recipes as guidelines, not instructions to be followed precisely (unless I’m baking).
Either way, the kale and the dressing in the recipe are superb and make for great salads the next day!
This meal is fresh, elegant, and great for date night. Go on, take your loved one and get them to stick some kale in their teeth as well!
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave/sugar/stevia)
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil (I used more like 1/4 cup or less)
- *garlic if desired
- Reduce ingredients (without olive oil) to half on the stove by bringing to a boil and then simmering.
- Allow to cool and then slowly blend and add in olive oil.
Tuna and greens:
- 1/2 tbsp butter (or olive oil/earth balance)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 bunch kale (no stems) sea salt freshly ground pepper
- Preheat bbq to a high heat then saute butter, garlic and ginger until aromatic.
- Add the kale, wet from rinsing, and let it steam with the lid on.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the tuna steaks in vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and grill to medium rare (2-3 minutes per side).
- Put all the goodies together and enjoy with a fine local wine![/box]