So the other night my fiance and I were watching my favorite show- Iron Chef- on the Food Network.
The secret ingredient was the all mighty green pea! Bobby Flay and his competitor whipped up some amazing dishes using pea as the main ingredient: soup, fritters, popsicles, you name it. Those guys are genius.
While tasting, one of the judges commented and said “I feel like there’s much pea-ness going on here which is nice.” You have to watch the other judges’ reactions.
Anyways, I had peas on the mind after this, specifically pea soup. But I have this thing where if I’m making soup, I want to pack it with as many nutrients as humanly possible.
So I did what any kale loving hippie would do, and added a big bunch of kale, a zucchini and some of my kale pesto to a recipe from the Detox cookbook Ayah bought me for my birthday. I also added some curry and cumin for extra kick!
In the end, it wasn’t a pea soup, but definitely a pea-ness soup.
I hope you like it!
[box]Kale and Pea-ness Soup
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 Kale leaf
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Bag of organic frozen peas
- 1L Low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Cayenne* to taste
- Salt and pepper* to taste
- *2 tsp Kale pesto*
- Simmer garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped kale, sliced zucchini and peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cover with vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add spices.
- Simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Let cool.
- Blend in a blender (or use a hand blender if you have one) until smooth.
- Bring back to pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with kale pesto and sprouts![/box]