If you are looking to show your Valentine a little love with a home cooked meal on Monday night, this might be just the dish you are looking for. It embodies some of the best things about V day; it’s really hottt, temptingly sweet, and a little on the picante side to boot! Tack on the facts that this soup is under 200 calories a bowl and contains almost 300% of your recommended Vitamin A and you have got yourself one healthy, sexy soup.
What’s that you say? You don’t have a Valentine? Meh, don’t worry about. Show yourself some love and make a big pot of this tasty concoction. You’ll be glad that you don’t have to share it with anyone because it’s that good.
[box]Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- 1 lb of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into little cubes
- 10 oz of sweet corn kernels, (I used frozen but fresh or canned would work)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of almond milk (I used almond milk to make it vegan, but regular milk works great)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbs of flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it hottt)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- optional: 1 small onion diced (I hate onions so I skipped this, but I imagine one would be good here if you are into that sort of sick-o stuff )
1. In a stock pot heat oil, garlic and your optional onion until fragrant.
2. Add corn, sweet potatoes, water, and spices and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Put flour in a mixing bowl and gradually whisk in your milk product to make a roux.
5. When your soup is looking tender and smelling delicious, throw in your chopped bell peppers and slowly add your roux mixture, stirring continuously.
6. Let everything simmer and thicken for about 5 more minutes while stirring occasionally.
7. Light some candles, put some fresh flowers on the table and some sultry tunes on the stereo.
8. Ladle that soup into some bowls. Serve with bread or crackers and fresh green salad and celebrate a meal filled with love, and sweet potatoes.[/box]