Allow me to begin by saying that the idea of savory oatmeal made me a little uneasy up until I made this dish. That’s primarily due to the fact that I love me some sweet and creamy breakfast oatmeal. Rolled or steel-cut oats, simmered up with dried fruit and nuts, then drowned in some milk , and topped with a little brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon? Mercy. I think we can all agree that’s a little slice of heaven. And a warm cinnamony oatmeal cookie fresh outta the oven? That’s devine. Now how about a big hot oaty bowl of salsa and black beans? OK, that idea takes a little getting used to. But I promise that if you can get past the initial weirdness, you’ll be able to love oats in a whole new and delicious way.
Just think, if you can have a tasty sweet breakfast featuring something traditionally savory as in the case of a Quinoa Berry Bowl, why not swing things the other way and make something savory into sweet? There is really no good reason why you can’t. Oats are just a steamy, creamy, whole grained, blank slate waiting for you to season them. So go ahead and reach for the hot sauce! I double dog dare to to give these a shot.
Essentially, this is just a really yummy burrito bowl made with taco seasoned oatmeal instead of rice. The benefits of doing this is that you get all the great fiber that comes from oatmeal, and it cooks a lot faster than rice if you are looking for a meal in a hurry. Also? It’s kinda fun to be able to say you had Taco Oats.
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ¼ cup of canned black beans
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 tsp. taco seasoning (you can use a pre-made blend, or make your own from the recipe below)
- Optional toppings: sour cream, hot sauce, salsa, anything else you love on your tacos!
- In a small pot bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil.
- Stir in oats and taco seasoning, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot, remove from heat and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Put oats in a bowl and pile on beans, cheese, veggies, and any other taco tastiness your heart desires.
- Enjoy and spread the gospel of savory oats!