Oh, February. That short month in which we revere a groundhog’s shadow, celebrate love, and endure a whole lot of grey skies and rainy/snowy weather. It was a busy 28 days over here at Healthy Tasty Cheap, and Gillian and I are so glad that you all seem to be enjoying reading this blog as much as we enjoy writing it.
This month we settled the great debate regarding Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes, and gave you a a peek into Gillian’s pantry with a list of her Kitchen Staples. We also put a spotlight on Lentils, Sweet Potatoes, Oats and Soy Products as our Ingredients of the Week. Speaking of Ingredients of the week, if you ever want to take a peak at our Ingredients Archive we have a brand new special page dedicated to to just that. You can take a peek by clicking on “Featured Ingredients” up at the top of the page.
As long as we are talking about fun places you could be clicking, don’t forget that you can connect with us on Facebook, Twitter. And if you’ve ever cooked something from one of our recipes we would love for your to submit a photo to our Flickr Group!
Here are the recipes that we posted in February:
- Lentil Muffins – Which would be a great way to sneak some excellent legumes into your child’s diet.
- Quick Fix Lentil Salad
- Curried Coconut Lentils
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Sweet Potato and Almond Pudding
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- Love Struck Granola
- Banana Oat muffins
- Peanut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Taco Oats – Tastier than they sound people! I double dog dare you to try them.
- Tofu Noodles
- DIY Shake ‘n Bake Tofu
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding
There have been some great posts by other bloggers involving February’s featured ingredients out there on the interwebz. Here are a few that have got Gillian and I doing some salivating.
- Mama Pea from Peas and Thank You made her own take on sloppy joes with lentils: Sloppy Josephines!
- Kimberly of at Poor Girl Eats Well takes these legumes south of the border with Lentil and Sweet Pepper Tacos.
- Over at Foodie Loves Baking, Flour Child is baked up a killer looking Vegan Shepard’s Pie featuring green lentils.
- And if you are feeling the need for a crispy lentil pancake, be sure to check out Denny’s recipe for Brown Rice and Lentil Dosas.
- Lisa from Lisa at Home has a different idea of a lazy meal than we do! Her sweet potato and arugula salad with poached eggs is elegant and delicious.
- Soulful Creations shared some rather impressive Sweet Potato Pannacotta.
- The New York Times highlighted 5 different healthful recipes from around the world featuring sweet potatoes (not yams!).
- Kristin from Cook, Bake, Nibble’s tempting tempeh and lentil bolognese looks divine.
- Angela from Health and Swellbeing makes some incredible looking maple grilled tempeh on quinoa.
- Meatless Mondays starts off the day right with a Tex-Mex Tofu Scramble.
- Fit Fab Foodies reveals the secret to a perfect sandwich spread with Tofu Mayonnaise.
How about you? Have you been cooking anything exciting with these ingredients?
What was your favorite post during February month, and what would you like to see more of?