Inspired by my love of wasabi peas and the ingredient of the week, I took a shot at some combing the two. The result? Flavorful bites that make a spicy crispy snack I can’t stop munching on. Vegan, high in fiber, and highly addictive, these are a deceptively simple savory snack. It’s truly amazing what a can of chickpeas and a few seasonings can become given some time in the oven!
Head over to your local Asian grocery store to pick up some powdered wasabi and black sesame seeds, and bake up a batch of these suckers. Enjoy them by the handful, on top of a salad, or thrown into some snack mix.
[box]Roasted Wasabi Chickpeas
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1 T. wasabi powder (more if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 2 T. black sesame seeds
1. Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag and shake until well coated.
2. Spread chickpeas evenly on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour at 350 F, or until the chickpeas are golden and crisp, stirring every 10-15 minutes to prevent them from burning.
3. Remove from oven and let chickpeas cool completely before enjoying.[/box]