I have mornings when I roll out of bed and I NEED to make something.
Sometimes I bake, sometimes I cook, and sometimes I blend together some ingredients and see what happens.
This morning I wanted something full of my favourite healthy fat- COCONUT- and protein! I’ve been trying to incorporate more protein into my diet, so I decided to make coconut protein bites.
These are like a holistic version of MUSCLE MILK. Do you ever see those crazy protein drinks that the muscle builders at the gym drink? Yep, they terrify me. But this woman needs her protein, and why not make it in a 100% natural, mostly raw, vegan protein bite?
Since I’m taking a break from sugar right now – yep, no fruit, no maple syrup, poor me- I had an especially big challenge set out for me.
So I whipped out everything in my kitchen that I thought could work and came up with this.
Now, if I were not avoiding sugar I would definitely add some bananas, dates and maybe some maple syrup in these bad boys to make them extra special! But I’m giving my body a break from the sweet stuff so this is what I came up with.
The end result were very clean, filling, start-your-morning-off-right protein bites. Perfect with a hot cup of tea!
[box]Coconut Protein Bites
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 1/2 scoops protein powder (I used Vega Vanilla Shake n go)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Blend in a food processor.
- Finish mixing in a bowl, then line a container with foil or parchment paper.
- Push the ingredients into the container and top with more shredded coconut.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut into individual squares and store in freezer wrapped in foil.[/box]