Ratatouille is a pretty fancy word that is a lot of fun to say, and even more fun to prepare. This colorful dish is a layered casserole of thinly sliced summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushroom, and because I like things spicy, I threw in a little fresh jalapeno pepper. Traditionally I believe ratatouille is prepared as more of a stew, but I like to layer all of my beautiful vegetable slices into a pyrex dish and bake it. This creates a very colorful and delicate looking delicious dish that never fails to remind me of a certain adorable French rat, turned chef…
You’ve all seen this movie right? It’s totally adorable. And if a rat can prepare a classic French dish like Ratatouille, then my friends, so can you. It makes a great side dish and can even be served as a vegetarian entree. I served mine over some basil infused polenta with a side salad. It was a hit and I’m looking forward to eating leftovers for lunch.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 medium sized skinny eggplant
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of white mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper or 1/2 a jalapeno pepper
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted, they are my fave!)
- a handful of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TB olive oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- To prepare, you are going to have a big slicing party. If you have a mandolin, this is a great use for it, but you can also get the job done with a sharp knife and some perseverance. Slice all of your veggies, including garlic cloves and peppers, into 1/16th-1/8th inch slices.
- In a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan, pour in crushed tomatoes and smooth into a even layer.
- Now comes the fun part, layering! Start arranging all of your lovely little veggie rounds in rows atop the tomato sauce. Take care to alternate the veggies and incorporate your slices of garlic and peppers.
- When your dish is full, brush the tops of your veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs de provence and salt, and then top with cheese.
- Pop the whole thing into the oven and bake for aprox. 45 mins, or until veggies are all thoroughly cooked.