Like most budget minded mamas, I love making meals with what I have on hand. Soups are one of my favourite ways to use up what produce I have in my fridge.
And when I saw a 5lb bag of organic carrots for a fair price at my favourite organic grocery store, I went for it. I saw it as a challenge. A budget friendly challenge.
And since I try to sneak as many vegetables- especially kale – into his diet as possible, I blended in every vegetable in my fridge. Including this beautiful red kale..
I simply stewed all the vegetables up with onion, ginger, curry powder and cumin and added a carton of vegetable stock.
Once I had let it cooled, I pureed it into this beautiful bright orange soup, full of beta-carotene to make my skin glow (I’m suffering winter skin blues), added a squirt of my favourite Asian hot sauce, some chickpeas, and dug in!
Curried Carrot Soup
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- 1 tsp Ginger (fresh or powdered)
- 10 Large carrots
- 4 Celery stalks
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 2 cups Red Kale
- 1 Carton vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Curry
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Simmer onion in olive oil in a large pot.
- Add all vegetables and cook at a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cover in vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Boil until carrots are tender then bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool then blend into a puree.
- Garnish with chickpeas and hot chili sauce if you like!