I loooove breakfast burritos. Spicy eggs wrapped up in a warm tortilla strike me as the most ideal, portable, and delicious breakfast food. As someone who considers burritos a food group, the breakfast burrito is at the top of my favorites list (next comes the classic bean and cheese, and then Chile Relleno burrito, in case you were wondering).
Tragically, I have been unable to find a breakfast burrito worth its salsa here in the Bay Area, apparently they are all hiding out in Southern California. Which is a bummer, but it just means that I have had to hone my own breakfast burrito making skills. Occasionally on the weekends, my husband and I will cook up crazy huge breakfast burros with all of the works including potatoes, cheese, and avocado, and man are those indulgent and amazing! They are, however, definitely not something that anyone should consume with any sort of regularity.
These super protein burritos are different though, and you could eat one every day of the week if you wanted to and feel no guilt. They are smaller then the deluxe edition, have no cheese, and are made with a whole grain tortilla. Don’t let all that healthy stuff fool you though, these babies are yummy and pack 13 grams of protein into each spicy little roll of breakfast.
I make these with soyrizo because I’m vegetarian and I like to eat the fake soy meats from time to time. Lots of people don’t like fake meat, so if you want to sub in a lean breakfast sausage, or forfeit the meat part all together you can do that. Just add extra salsa, because the soyrizo lends a lot of the moisture and flavor to this recipe.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that these burritos freeze really well. Every once in a while I’ll whip up a bunch of these, wrap ‘em up, toss them in the freezer and I will be content in knowing that any time I oversleep, and I can throw one of these babies into the micro and have a nice hot hearty breakfast in no time flat. Sometimes I even eat one with a salad as quick dinner, versatile and yummy! What are you waiting for?
- 6 eggs
- 1 14 oz can black beans
- 9 tortillas (i used TJ’s whole grain ones with rolled oats & flax)
- 1 package of soyrizo
- 1 small can of roasted green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- salt, pepper, and hotsauce to taste
- Crack all of your eggs into a large bowl and scramble them.
- Warm a greased large, deep, pan on medium heat, and then add you eggs, drained black beans, soyrizo, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined and cool until the eggs are done.
- Put about ½ cup (1/9th of your egg mixture) into a tortilla, add salsa and hot sauce. Roll it all up. Continue making burritos until you have used up all your filling.
- If you are eating them now, enjoy!
- If you plan on storing them, wrap them tightly in foil, put them all in a ziplock bag and label that with the date and contents. When ready to eat, remove from foil, wrap the burrito in a paper towel and put it on a plate in the microwave. Microwave on high, and flip it over every minute. Usually takes about 3 minutes to warm all the way through, but every microwave is different.