While Gillian is over at Whole Foods harnessing the superfood powers of cacao, I’m in my kitchen plotting ways that I can make sugary semi-sweet chocolate into a somewhat healthy treat. You see, chocolate for me is an indulgence, not a dietary supplement. I can try and convince myself that cacao is good for more me and therefore tasty, but my taste buds beg to differ. It’s bitter and strong tasting and entirely not my cup of tea. Cacao to cacao! Bring on the sugar enhanced cocoa treats and let’s have ourselves a real chocolate snack, shall we?
One of my favorite ways to enjoy chocolate during the warmer months is on ripe juicy strawberries. Of all the things a person could dip into chocolate, strawberries are a pretty healthy choice!. And chocolate dipped berries always seem like such a fancy and decadent dessert, but they are really quite easy to make. Just melt a pot of chocolate, dip your berries, let them cool, and bring out at platter full of them for a gathering of friends. If you are feeling really fancy, drizzle a little white chocolate over them and people will be dazzled by your sophistication and dessert prowess.
- 1½ cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 2 quarts strawberries with stems
- Put semisweet and white chocolates into 2 separate heatproof medium bowls. Fill 2 medium saucepans with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat; set the bowls of chocolate over the water to melt. Stir until smooth. (Alternatively, melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power, for 1 minute, stir and then heat for another minute or until melted.)
- Once the chocolates are melted and smooth, remove from the heat. Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the dark chocolate, lift and twist slightly, letting any excess chocolate fall back into the bowl. Set strawberries on the parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the strawberries. Dip a fork in the white chocolate and drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries.
- Set the strawberries aside until the chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
What is your favorite thing to dip into chocolate?