This dish combines a whole lot of Healthy Tasty Cheap superstars. Asparagus, kale, chickpeas, and lemon all come together with a big dose of goat cheese for a rich and creamy, protein packed vegetarian entree.
When I first started trying to eat healthier, I struggled with reducing my pasta consumption. I love the texture, how easy it is to prepare, and having grown up with a steady diet of mac and cheese, there is a lot of comfort for me in a bowl full of noodles. Sadly, there is not a whole lot of nutrition in pasta, and what it lacks in nutrition it makes up for in useless empty calories. I have learned that I can still indulge in some pasta from time to time if I view less as base for sauce, and more of an ingredient in a dish. I try to not make any pasta dishes unless they are at least 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 pasta. That way, I can still get the captivating mouth feel of the pasta, but it is tempered by lots of good stuff. This dish comes in closer to the 2/3 veggie 1/3 ratio, and with all that greenery and 23 grams of protein per serving, I feel good about serving it and devouring a healthy portion myself.
- 8 oz of whole wheat spaghetti (that’s ½ a typical bag)
- 15oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 head of kale cleaned & torn into pieces
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of Asparagus, trimmed & cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 oz of goat cheese
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt, pepper, and red chili flakes to taste
- Put on a pot of salted boiling water and prepare spaghetti noodles
- In a large sauce pan, place asparagus, and canned tomatatoes. Add 1 tablespoon of water and cover for 3 minutes to allow to asparagus to steam slightly and turn bright green.
- Remove lid and add kale, chickpeas, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Allow to cook on medium heat until kale is wilted.
- Drain pasta, reserving ¼ of hot water, and return to pot. Add the hot water and goat cheese to the pasta and mix until smooth and creamy. Toss vegetables in with pasta.
- Serve and garnish with red chili flakes if desired.