Who doesn’t love a good taco salad? They are all the fun of a burrito mixed up into a bowl with lots and lots of lettuce to keep things feeling fresh and light.
My fabulous vegetarian Mexican husband turned me on to making these back when we were just dating. Talk about knowing the way to my heart! They have since become a bit of a staple in our household, hence the name “Casa Bunni Spicy Salad” (sidenote: we began calling our home “Casa Bunni” in 2007 when we adopted two sweet rescue bunnies). Over time these salads have evolved from something relatively simple with romaine lettuce, assorted veggies, salsa, and crushed up chips, to an all out fiesta. These days we also include some sour cream, guac, black beans, jalapeno, fajita seasoned veggie chicken, and my patented salsa dressing. Like I said, it’s a total party.
The recipe that I’ve included here is the deluxe edition with all of the fixin’s, feel free to add or remove things to make it your perfect taco salad. If you want, you can set out all of these ingredients “taco night” style and let your family customize their own muy delicioso salads.
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Sliced bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Canned black beans
- Guacamole or fresh avocado
- Pickled jalapeno
- Low fat sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Crushed corn chips
- Hot sauce
- 1 package vegetarian chicken strips (I like the TJ’s kind)
- 1 packet fajita season
- Salsa dressing: ½ cup of your favorite salsa, ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup grape seed oil
- In a large pan prepare “chicken” according to directions on fajita seasoning (this will make enough for about 4 salads).
- Fill large bowls ½-3/4 full of romaine lettuce.
- Add all of the ingredients from the above list that sound good to you! Get creative and make your salad your own.
- Whisk together your salad dressing ingredient in a bowl, and dress your salad. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in your fridge for up to a week.
- Dig in! This sort of salad goes great with a cerveza.