“What is that smell? It smells like an apple cinnamon explosion! Mmmm…”
Those were the words from my fiance as I baked my apple pie muffins tonight.
Just by calling them “Apple Pie Muffins” I knew he’d be interested. The secret is that they are very healthy. Vegan, gluten-free, oil free and loaded with natural ingredients, these muffins are the best damn apple pie your belly ever thanked ya for.
I’ve been receiving adorable little apples in my front door organics delivery and wanted to use them up in a fun way so this recipe came about.
I peeled and chopped four little apples and mixed them with gluten-free flour, wheat-free oats, maple syrup, apple sauce and nuts and cranberries.
I had no eggs on hand so I used one of my favourite tricks and mixed 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water and let it sit for 15 minutes until it became a “chia egg”.
I added some chopped pecans and hazelnuts for crunch and some cranberries because I had them on hand. All together these muffins are packed with great vitamins to hold you over for breakfast or a snack.
And the kitchen did smell amazing! They came out perfectly and I ate one warm right away.
They weren’t as moist as I’m used to without the oil, but they have a nice texture and are great with or without a slather of butter. Even my picky eating man has snuck two as I type this!
How ya like them apples?
- 1 cup wheat free oats
- 1 cup milk (I used So Delicious coconut milk)
- 1 egg (I used chia egg)
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 + ⅓ cup gluten free flour (Bob Red Mills)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger (powdered)
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 small apples (peeled and chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and oil up your muffin sheet
- Soak oats in milk with maple syrup and apple sauce + mix in egg (wait til chia egg to set if using this)
- Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, baking powder, cinnamon..)
- Add wet to dry ingredients and mix gently
- Add nuts and chopped apple, mix gently, and fill into muffin molds
- Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes