Tuna melts are a staple in this house.
John loves them, I love the ease of making them, and we tend to have everything we need on hand whenever the craving strikes.
Being gluten-free, I usually miss out on the pleasure of these tuna melts. I don’t usually buy gluten-free bread, so I’m left lusting after the gooey cheese that John’s biting into, and missing one of my favourite comfort foods of the past.
I felt very Sandra Lee making these since they scream semi-homemade. “Y’all gonna add in some mayo, some salsa, some canned tuna and mix it up.”
But you know what? That’s how we make tuna melts around here so I’m not about to critique something so simple and delicious.
So if you’re looking for a light, but still decadent tuna melt to whip up for dinner, I encourage eating it in lettuce wrap form. Simple, satisfying, and total comfort food.
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 cans of tuna
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tbp chili powder
- 2 tbsp of mayo (I use canola mayonnaise)
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (I use Valentinas)
- cheddar cheese (I didn’t use shredded but would recommend you do)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together tuna with spices and mayo and top with cheddar cheese
- Bake for 10-15 minutes then set oven to broil
- Bake until cheese is hot and bubbly!
- Fill up your lettuce cups and enjoy!