If you’re looking for a great gluten-free meal to satisfy your whole family, this recipe is a keeper.
It’s basically a healthy twist on spaghetti bolognese using quinoa spaghetti and a vegetable packed meat sauce.
I recently interviewed a nutritionist for hockey players and the guy was a big fan of quinoa pasta. Once I read the ingredients I understood why: quinoa flour, brown rice flour. Two ingredients. It also has more protein than any other pasta I’ve seen.
I made this for my grandparents over the weekend and was a little nervous they wouldn’t like it. They are Irish and love simple meals of meat and potatoes. One time I made them spicy lentil stew. “Where’s the meat?” And “Why is it so spicy?” Was the general verdict.
Now I know better and always incorporate meat and keep the spice levels down when I cook for them. This meal fits the bill, and was so delicious John and I think it should become a weekly event.
And the spaghetti? My grandma raved about it so much I left her a box to use again. Win win.
- 1 Onion
- 2 Bell peppers (I used red and orange)
- 4 stalks of celery
- Ground beef (or tempeh for vegan substitution)
- One jar classico tomato and basil sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- Quinoa spaghetti
- Dice up your onion and cook in a large sauce pan until glossy
- Chop up your vegetables and add to frying pan, cook on low until tender
- Place onion and vegetables in a separate bowl, and use frying pan to cook up your ground meat on medium high
- When fully cooked, add meat, tomato sauce and spices and allow to simmer while you cook your pasta
- Cook spaghetti, plate, and top with parmesan!