Bonjour from the South of France!
I have come to visit my parents and to prepare for the wedding. I’ve also had some time to prepare some great meals. This recipe is for a very simple pesto salmon 2 ways, because we never waste leftovers over here!
My dad has a little garden on our balcony here with an abundance of basil. The man makes a fabulous pesto which he keeps in little cubes in the freezer and I have been loving it. The other night I made my parents this simple pesto salmon served with yogurt mixed with lemon and fresh herbs and a big salad.
The next day was a scorcher, so I wanted to make us a cold dinner. I used the rest of the salmon to create a pesto salmon nicoise. I simply threw together the leftover salmon with fresh greens, avocado, hard boiled egg, tomato, olives and green onion. Next time I’ll add some hard boiled potatoes.
We served this up with a cold lentil salad and some white wine. Summer perfection!
- 4 salmon filets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- generous amount of fresh pesto
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 425°F or 250C.
- Pat the salmon thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- Heat a 12-inch heavy-based ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil, swirl around the pan, and then evenly space the fish skin down in the pan.
- Cook salmon for 5 minutes or until bottom is brown. You make need to scrape up with a spatula to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Add pesto on the top of the salmon and place pan in the oven until salmon is firm to the touch, about 4 to 7 min.
- Carefully remove from oven and plate.
- Serve with salad and a dip made of plain yogurt, fresh herbs and lemon.