The chilly fall breeze outside calls for my favourite cold weather dish: chili!
I like to pack my chili full of my favourite things: lean ground turkey, roasted sweet potato, black beans, chipotle, and a big kick of flavour.
While I keep a stock of chili powder on hand, my favourite way to spice up my chili is with these packs of Simply Organic spicy chili. They save me any worries over spicing my chili when I’m throwing everything into the crockpot in the morning.
The sweet potatoes add great bulk and texture to the chili. I like to roast mine in the oven with a bit of coconut oil before hand and add them in last minute so that they stay nice and firm and don’t melt into the chili.
I like to serve up a big bowl with a nice salad, some garlic bread for the Mr, or if I’m feeling ambitious some homemade cornbread muffins. Fall perfection.
- Coconut oil (olive oil will also work)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Ground turkey meat *use chickpeas or white beans to make vegan
- 1 large can of plum or choppoed tomatoes
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- I head of roasted garlic (bake for 30 min)
- Chipotle hot sauce or liquid from a can of chipotles *to taste
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Chili powder (or a pack of Simply Organic spicy chili mix)
- 1 tsp cacoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ can of pumpkin
- 4 tbsp of gluten-free bbq sauce
- Can of black beans
- Peel and cube yams and roast for 30 min at 350F in coconut oil and cinnamon. Gently fry turkey meat in a bit of coconut oil and set aside.
- Add canned tomatoes, seasonings, pumpkin and vegetable broth, bring to a boil then simmer (or set in a slow cooker for 8 hours or so).
- Add sweet potato and black beans.
- Adjust flavour as needed.
- Top with your favourite cheddar and serve with garlic bread or a big salad.