Ever since I was a little kid I’ve loved a hearty plate of pasta and meat sauce.
Since it’s not always the most nutritionally dense dish, I amped up my version with brown rice pasta and bison and snuck in some healthy greens.
Bison is a very lean meat. It has 1/3 the fat of beef and is packed with loads of zinc, iron and protein per serving.
I like picking up some Carmen Creek Bison from Whole Foods since it’s additive and hormone free. Their animals are raised naturally on wide open pasture, with unrestricted access to clean air and fresh water. Carmen Creek Bison are raised on pure vegetable feed and are not in contact with any animal products.
I stewed my bison with a jar of organic tomato sauce and added kale, spinach and broccoli to the mix. Topped on brown rice pasta and served with a salad, it made for a perfect mid-week meal and even better leftovers the next day.
- 1lb Ground bison meat
- 1 jar red pepper tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tsp chili powder
- cayenne for a kick (depending on how much you like)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- ½ cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup broccoli
- Brown meat on med.high in a frying pan
- Place in slow cooker with remaining ingredients for 4-6 hours